Most notebook models have built-in webcams. With their help, it is convenient to communicate on the Internet and take photos. It happens that the equipment is not configured properly - this is manifested in the absence of a picture or its inadequate quality. The question arises: "How to set it up?".
Connecting the camera on a laptop
If your PC is running Windows 7 or 8, it may be sufficient to turn on the webcam as usual. Follow the following instructions:
- Go to the "Control Panel" and go to the "Task Manager". Find the section "Equipment and Sound".
- In the list of installed devices, find the tab called "Image Processing Devices". It is usually located at the bottom of the list. If it is missing, then the webcam is not installed on the computer.
- If you find a tab, click on it. A string opens with the device name. Click on it with the right mouse button.
- In the window that appears, you can view the current state of the camera, turn it on, update the driver.
For computers with Windows 10 installed, do the following:
- Open the Start menu.
- Click "All Applications."
- Find the "Camera" service and move the slider to "On".
- The equipment should turn on and the corresponding image will appear on the screen.
Attention! Switching methods may vary depending on the laptop model. For example, on Lenovo and Asus, the ability to turn on via hot buttons is provided.
Setting up the camera on a laptop
It happens that the camera is turned on and working properly, but the picture is blurry, the colors do not correspond to reality and so on. In this case, the setting is necessary. It is performed using special programs. They are usually shipped in a package with device drivers. Programs make it possible to change the brightness, contrast, clarity of the picture:
- Run the program to manage the image. For devices from Microsoft, this is LifeCam. If the application is not installed, download it from the official website of the manufacturer and install it.
- Find the section "Settings" or "Options." There are suggested options for changing the image quality.
- Use the sliders on the screen to adjust the parameters as desired.
- Save the changes.
You can change the settings in the Skype program:
- Go to "Program Settings".
- Click on "Video Settings".
- Find the webcam settings tab. Adjust the image by moving the sliders to the options that suit you.
- Click "Save."
Important! When downloading third-party utilities for setting up images and videos, do not forget to check them with antivirus.
How to check the connection if the webcam is not working
If the camera on the laptop is present, but it is not possible to turn it on, you need to determine what the problem is - in its malfunction or settings. For this you need to check the device.
Pay attention to the wires and connectors - are they all connected? Try to pull out the wires and re-insert them into the connectors. This applies to external equipment.
To check the camera built-in PC, special programs are needed. This is usually done using special sites. Once on them, and clicking on the "Allow" button, you will see yourself on the screen.
Another way to check is to contact the device manager:
- Go to "Control Panel" - "Device Manager".
- Find the "Install Image Processing" column below.
- See if your webcam is displayed there as well as its name.
Reference! If the computer sees the hardware, but the model name is missing, or a yellow triangle with an exclamation point is visible on the device, you need to update the driver. This can be done via the Internet or by using the installation CD that comes with the laptop.
Sometimes the webcam does not work on the computer because it is disabled in the BIOS settings. To fix the situation, you need to restart the system. During the new boot, press F9 (depending on the OS version and PC model, it may be F1, F2, etc.). Going to the BIOS settings, find the Advanced item, then Onboard Device Configuration and Onboard Camera. Change the value from Disabled to Enabled. Continue loading the laptop.
If all else fails, you will have to carry a laptop for diagnosis to a service center.